Friday, December 28, 2007

John McCain Looks Tired

The end of the year is always the slowest time for political news and maneuvers. However, this year we are on the eve of the presidential primary season, so let us focus on that.

Sadly, as I'm sure most people have heard, former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto died yesterday during a suicide bombing at one of her campaign rallies in Pakistan -- a terrible tragedy and I send my condolences. And while the official cause of death and the world impact of this event is being debated, the 2008 presidential candidates are all commenting on the situation. The 10-second sound bite that most caught my attention was that of Senator John McCain, R-AZ.

Over the past year, Senator McCain has been touting his foreign policy experience as one of his best qualifications to be president. In the sound clip that I saw today, he stated the unfortunate death of Benazir Bhutto may in fact help to "enhance" these qualities and benefit his campaign. In an age where image trumps truth, we'll see if that happens.

But what this clip really got me thinking about was: John McCain looks tired. Whether it is during a debate or out at public functions with voters, he seems worn down. And while he is the oldest candidate on the campaign trail at 71, I don't think its his age that has him ready for a nap. I personally think that he is fed up with the nonsense around him, and the political process in general. He should have been the 2000 Republican presidential candidate, but lost his momentum after despicable campaign tactics that may or may not have come from the campaign of President George W. Bush. After that, I personally would have been too disillusioned with everything to ever run again. And now, he has to share the stage with the likes of Rudy Giuliani, Mitt Romney, Fred Thompson, and Mike Huckabee -- not only share the stage, but be pushed out of the spotlight and be considered a second-tier candidate.

John McCain is a heavyweight. Romney, Giuliani, Thompson, and Huckabee are lightweights (and I say this even though I think that Huckabee is an authentic and conscientious person). And what's more, I think that John McCain knows that these people are not in his league, never will be, and yet still get more support than he does. He doesn't understand it, and neither do I.

If the Republicans are smart, John McCain will be their nominee in 2008. But like I said before: In this age where image trumps truth, we'll see if that happens.

No comments: