Sunday, December 2, 2007

Gov. Eliot Spitzer and the Political Roller Coaster

Over the past ten years, Gov. Eliot Spitzer’s political star has been rising. Through his aggressive, yet sometimes controversial, actions as New York’s Attorney General, Mr. Spitzer gained immense popularity with New Yorkers and non-New Yorkers alike. In January of this year, he was elected to the office of New York State Governor with 69% of the vote. CNN.com reports that in mid-January, as much as 75% of New York’s viewed Gov. Spitzer favorably. It certainly seemed to many that he was climbing a political roller coaster that had no drop in its tracks. Then he started governing. And that’s when the bottom fell out.

Not long after being sworn into office, Gov. Spitzer’s administration was caught up in scandal involving the surveillance of Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno. Then followed (as I’m sure we’re all aware) the controversial policy of driver’s licenses for illegal immigrants. Could this roller coaster drop be bottomless?

I am not here to argue for or against Gov. Spitzer’s positions – that can be for another entry. What I would like to comment on is his tactics. The point that I would like to make is: you cannot govern in a democracy by issuing decrees, and you can’t strong-arm the population into compliance. I have absolutely no problem with Gov. Spitzer lobbying for support to legislate any position he has. But you cannot begin ordering the citizens of New York around with a “because I told you so” attitude. We are not your peasants, nor are we your servants, nor are we your children. I am glad that we have cleared that up. As for now, I am a New Yorker, and I am listening. Do not tell me what to do; try to convince me that I should do it.

No comments: