Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Gutter


If you want to experience the lowest of the low, I implore you to visit the Opinion page on PoughkeepsieJournal.com. At the bottom of each story, there is an application called StoryChat, where online readers can voice their opinions about posted content. PoughkeepsieJournal.com does not regulate, agree, or condone anything that is posted on these message boards, so what I'm about to say is not a reflection on them, so much as it is a reflection on a notable portion of those who do the actual posting. From here on out, PoughkeepsieJournal.com StoryChat will be referred to as "The Gutter."

I happened to stumble into The Gutter last night -- I lost my balance and fell in while I was reading up on the Letters to the Editor. I was shocked, as I found myself wading waist-deep in vile. The hatred overflowed. The anger was immense. The thought-process was diminished. Ann Coulter would be proud. You see, there are certain posters who choose to pass their time by putting down "liberals" and "liberalism" without any sound reasoning. They simply hate "liberals" because they are different, and they use name-calling, disrespect, and pointless, off-topic arguments to try to achieve their goal of spreading the hate. It is hardly worthy of America.

National debate is very important in this country, and people like this infect it with their prejudice. Many people have different ideas, and they're not strictly red or blue, conservative or liberal, or (most of the time) right or wrong. There are many people in this country who claim to love America, but who clearly cannot stand Americans. If you would like to encounter some of these people, simply visit The Gutter.

But you have been warned.

No comments: