Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday 2008: Part II

It is unfortunate, but I am not eligible to vote in today's New York primary. I originally registered to vote in my Economics class when I was a senior in high school, and at the time, for whatever reason, I registered as an Independent. Up until now, I had no reason to change my party registration. That has changed. The current presidential campaign has made me decide that I want more say in who my leaders are; I want to participate in the primary elections. But New York State will not let me.

According to New York State law, changes in party affiliation are not processed until after the next general election. That means that even though I submitted my registration form in early January, it will not be processed until November. I want to voice my opinion. I want to have my say. New York doesn't think I should be able to.

In this age when political participation is so incredibly dismal, doesn't it make the most sense to allow every possible opportunity for the people to get involved and voice their opinions? If someone wants to change their party affiliation, New York State law should allow it to take effect immediately, without a 10-12 month waiting period. The world moves much faster than that.

So, I hope that everyone who can vote does. Do not take it for granted. No matter who you vote for, just make sure you vote.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Slacker! You're a hypocritical ass.