Friday, January 18, 2008

The Obama Office Opening

Last night, out of my general interest and excitement for the current presidential campaign, I attended the opening of the Barack Obama campaign office at 12 Raymond Ave., in Poughkeepsie. I had never been to one of these events before, so I really didn't know what to expect.

The place was packed. I got there just before the scheduled start time of 7PM, and I had to push my way through all the people. And more kept coming, forcing others into the side-rooms where media interviews were taking place. I did my best to hold onto my spot near the front of the room. Finally, around 7:15, the organizers began speaking: this is who we are, this is what we're doing, this is why we're doing it, and here's how you can help. The crowd was very energetic, joining into the conversation, and breaking into chants of "Fired Up!" and "Yes, We Can!" I really had never experienced anything like it.

There were 3 things that really caught my attention:

1 - The comparisons to Bobby Kennedy. As it turns out, I am not the only who thinks that the energy Obama creates is similar to Bobby Kennedy -- many of the seasoned event attendees stated that they had not felt this way about a candidate since his presidential run in 1968.

2 - The diversity of the supporters. Everyone there wasn't from the same walk of life. There were politicians, school teachers, college students, and more. Male and female. Black, White, Hispanic, Asian. Seasoned and young. Very encouraging.

3 - The number of vocal Republicans in attendance. I was not expecting that at all.

4 - The fact that over 100 people could assemble peaceably in support of a presidential candidate and not live in fear of violence or repercussion. While I was standing there, listening to the speakers enthuse the crowd, the thought suddenly popped into my mind that there are a lot of countries on this planet where this would not be allowed; where those participated in such rallies would be putting themselves in serious danger -- either from the public, the government, or both. This really is a great country.

Shortly after leaving the rally, I encountered a longtime friend of mine. When I told him where I was coming from, he made a face as if to say, "What could you possibly be doing there?" And that's when I remembered that politics is taboo in our country, and that the "left" is supposed to hate the "right," and vice versa. But it's all good, because I then proceeded to destroy him in poker -- twice.

(Pictured above: Obama For America New York State Field Director Joyce Stanley Johnson, speaking to supporters)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you were supposed to bring him over to the left by letting him win one! I'm telling!