Monday, January 14, 2008

National Politics Come Local


A few minutes ago, I checked onto PoughkeepsieJournal.com to read the local headlines, and what did I find? A brief article entitled, "Obama campaign to open office in the Town of Poughkeepsie." This, to me, is fantastic.

Shortly after the New Hampshire primary, I began to feel like I had missed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to view this nation's leaders up-close. In hindsight, maybe I should have spent 2 days traveling around New Hampshire in my car, visiting campaign event after campaign event, hearing first-hand what the candidates have to say. After all, Poughkeepsie to Nashua, NH, is only about 225 miles; I could make it in less than 4 hours. And where else would you be able to find so many current and former elected officials in one area, fighting for face-time with voters?

However, according to the story on PoughkeepsieJournal.com, it seems that Sen. Barack Obama may be planning a trip to the Hudson Valley sometime between now and February 5th, which is the date of the New York primary. This excites me very much: the thought of the national presidential campaign coming into our own backyard. Now we just need the rest of them to set up similar offices. I want Poughkeepsie bustling with presidential campaigns.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Obama just stepped back from the brink of disaster yesterday. He finally figured out his base wasn't real.