Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Gov. Paterson In The News

SNL

Unless you live in Alaska, it's not every week that the governor of your state gets lampooned on Saturday Night Live. But, this weekend New York State Governor David Paterson was the brunt of the jokes during a segment of SNL's Weekend Update; a segment that many are claiming went too far, as it did nothing more than make fun of the fact that the governor is blind.

I've thought over the past decade that SNL has lost it's mojo, much as it did in the early eighties. I never thought the whole Will Ferrell/Molly Shannon crew was as great as everyone else did, and watching Jimmy Fallon should be punishment for the detainees at Gitmo. They had a resurgence during the campaign, but I fear that SNL is floundering.

I do, however, love Paterson's reaction to the skit. Among other things, he said simply, "I can take a joke. But only 37% of disabled people are working, and I'm afraid that that kind of third-grade humor certainly adds to this atmosphere." Fantastic.

Caroline Kennedy

There has been a lot of discussion over the past couple of days about the idea of Caroline Kennedy being appointed by Gov. Paterson to fill Hillary Clinton's senate seat. I am not convinced that this is a good idea, and I'll tell you why.

I have no problems with Caroline Kennedy ideologically and I understand the need to appoint someone who will have immediate access and credibility, but I do have a problem with her personality. If appointed, she would have to go to the U.S. Senate, be one of 100, and compete with 99 other senators who have egos far bigger than their own states. And whenever I've seen her give public remarks she has come off as uncomfortable and timid, but she is going to be expected to run a full-blown state-wide campaign in both 2010 and 2012? I am doubtful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caroline Kennedy is a vapid dilletante and the fact that Patterson is actually the Governor of New York is the real joke.

Anonymous said...

seriously! caroline Kennedy would have simply got it because she RICH and a Kennedy. Pleeeease, she has been living her rich comfortable lifestyle her whole life and NOW she is interested in helping the citizens of New York state! I dont think so!