Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Big Three

My grandfather made his living working for General Motors in Western New York. He and my grandmother had a house, raised a family of four, and were active in their community. To this day my grandfather receives his pension and health benefits from GM, and his family still enjoys employee-pricing discounts.

His youngest son -- my uncle -- used to work in a GM plant in Western New York. A while ago the plant shut down, and the jobs performed at his plant were consolidated to Detroit. He had a decision to make: either try to find another gig or start working in Detroit. He chose the latter, and since then has been keeping a second residency; a house in WNY with his wife, and an apartment in the Detroit area with a roommate, over 250 miles away. He travels there for a few weeks at a time.

New York State -- especially WNY -- has been hit hard by the car crisis in this country. I don't know anyone else in my uncle's position, but I know that it unfortunately isn't a unique story. For years a job with one of the American car companies was considered to be one of the best: good pay, good benefits, secure pension. I don't know what my uncle will do if GM has to shut its doors. I don't know what my grandparents will do, either.

Now, I'm not here advocating a bailout for the American auto industry. I'm honestly very conflicted about the whole thing. Do these companies deserve federal help? Why are they more deserving than other companies? What would be the ripple effects of the downfall of one of the big three? Is the loss of the American automobile industry a threat to national security? How much of our country will China own before all of this is said and done?

I don't know the answers to these questions, but I do know is that this situation, like most, is less black and white and more shades of gray.

Or in this case, maybe metallic gray with black trim and leather interior.

No comments: