Monday, September 29, 2008

The First Debate

Factcheck.org has posted it's fact-checks for Friday night's presidential debate -- I encourage everyone to check them out here.

Overall, I thought that there was no clear winner in the debate -- both candidates muddled through the questions about the "economic crisis" (a.k.a. the double-standard), and Obama held his own on the foreign policy issues.

I personally thought that Jim Lehrer did a less than stellar job as moderator, and at times I felt that he was trying to play the role of a high school conflict mediator. I like the idea of the candidates being able to address each other and press for answers, but the candidates didn't take advantage because they aren't used to such a setting. Debates in this country have sunk to nothing more than joint press conferences, and not a discussion of ideas.

And I don't know about you, but I am very much looking forward to Thursday night's vice-presidential debate: Senator Joe Biden vs. Governor Sarah Palin. I'm not sure what to expect when these two get together, but if Palin's interviews with Charles Gibson and Katie Couric are any indication, then grab the freakin' popcorn.

No comments: