Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Walkway Over the Hudson

This past Sunday, I did what thousands of other Hudson Valley residents did: I took a trip on the Walkway Over the Hudson. I walked from Poughkeepsie to Highland and back, covering almost 2.5 miles, and it was quite the experience. When it came to the old railroad bridge, I think revitalizing it was the best idea, especially considering it would have cost more to tear the bridge down. I do, however, need to bring up a couple of points:

First, there are no emergency call boxes on the bridge. There are signs that give emergency numbers as well as signs discouraging people from committing suicide, but a person in distress should not be kept from help by their lack of a cell phone. There should direct line emergency boxes like you find on many other bridges, or even on many college campuses.

Second, I found that there are a lack of benches for sitting. What happens if you need to rest, or have a sudden health problem? Grab some cement? And since it is a park, what if you want to sit and read? Do I have to bring my own chair?

These suggests may seem small, but I think they could certainly improve the Walkway.

I just hope people use the thing.

No comments: