Thursday, April 16, 2009

Anti-Tax Tea Party

So, I was not able to make it out to the Anti-Tax Tea Party at Dutchess Stadium last night, due to circumstances beyond my control (i.e. a broken water main near my house). But I did check out the Poughkeepsie Journal article and the accompanying video, and I was impressed.

I was first impressed at the number of people who turned out. In yesterday's post I mocked the fact that the protest was moved to Dutchess Stadium because I didn't think anywhere near that large an amount would show up. But I stand corrected, because Dutchess Stadium was almost full.

I was also impressed when I watched the 2 minute video clip. Specifically, impressed of the gentleman giving the Nazi salute; impressed of the signs that portrayed President Obama with a Hitler mustache; impressed by the 8-year-old boy who was exploited by his parent by allowing him to speak on camera about that which he is probably not properly educated. Not really what I would call a meeting of the high-minded of society. Being impressed is not always a compliment.

And in truth, the whole thing is a sham as these people feign disdain for taxes. It's not the taxes they dislike, but the man in charge. Are you telling me that for 8 years of the Bush Administration this group of people were fine with running up the largest debt and deficit in U.S. history, but 3 months of the Obama Administration is just too much? Obama's the one destroying the economy? Obama is the one "destroying" the country? Give me a break.

Thank you, water main.

Update: At an Anti-Tax Tea Party in Texas yesterday, Governor Rock Perry said: "There's a lot of different scenarios. We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."

Nice. So, add him to the list of prominent Texas Republicans (that includes Chuck Norris) for whom patriotism is just a word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"those who show up" to these events need to have someone play teeball with their tea caddies or be teabagged and be made fun of a la Keith Olbermann. I agree 100% with your sentiments about their protests since they fail to acknowledge the source of the dilemma. I am trying to come up with more 't' metaphors like--t-boners; teetotalers who don't amount to squat when you add up their argument versus the truth. They should be against protesting-- teetotal that you old baggers.