Monday, November 3, 2008

Why I'm Voting For Barack Obama

1. Intellect. Whether you like him or not, you cannot deny that Barack Obama is an intellectual giant, and experience does not trump intellect. After all, Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, and Paul Wolfowitz are some of the most experienced public servants, and look where that's gotten us.

2. Ice Cold. Barack Obama is one cool character, especially when he's confronting an attack. He doesn't lose his temper. As a former Emergency Medical Technician, I would that in any kind of emergency situation, the last thing you want to do is lose your composure. And I don't want John McCain's famous temper sitting in the White House Situation Room.

3. Philosophy. Barack Obama's political and foreign policy philosophies are much closer to mine than those of John McCain -- working for healthcare for all, redistributing the tax burden, tough direct diplomacy (even with our enemies), etc.

4. The War in Iraq. John McCain argues over and over that the Iraq surge is working and that we're now winning the war. But to make this argument, in my opinion, is to completely miss the point. Of course the United States military is going to take care of business, but we shouldn't be there in the first place. The Bush administration closed it's eyes to thousands of years of history in the region and decided that they could solve all the woes of the country, only to get a rude awakening. And now John McCain argues that he will never retreat in defeat, and will only leave Iraq when we have won with honor. The problem is, the war in Iraq has been going on since March 2003, and I still don't know what "winning" is, or how our military is supposed to accomplish these goals.

5. The Smooth Campaign. Barack Obama's campaign has been impressive. An underdog, long-shot candidate who navigated his campaign to beat Hillary Clinton, who was the shoe-in favorite. And sure, there have been bumps and mistakes along the way, but overall the campaign has been impressively run, and I think this will translate, at least somewhat, into an Obama administration.

6. Hope And Inspiration. I know it sounds hokey, but it's true. Barack Obama inspires people, enough for him to draw 100,000+ people to a rally. Ronald Reagan's optimism was infectious, and aside from how I may disagree with his policies, I think that his personality did a lot of good for the country. Barack Obama makes me want to get involved in my government. He makes me want to ask, "What can I do to help? What sacrifices do you need me to make?" John McCain does not inspire me to get involved. On the contrary, he makes me ask, "Can I change the channel, yet?"

No comments: