Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"Grandma - Friend or Foe?"

My 4th of July this year was more eventful than normal; not only did I attend a small family BBQ here in Poughkeepsie, but I also attended a gathering in Copiague, NY, down on Long Island. Technically the party in L.I. was a wedding rehearsal dinner, but it had the same effect: I was there for about 3 hours, the beer was plentiful, and the fireworks were continuously lighting up the sky from all directions.

This year's celebration got me thinking about patriotism. Specifically, I have been thinking about how recently the most pressing issue facing the citizens of this nation seems to be whether or not Sen. Barack Obama is a "patriot." Some people obviously believe that since he sometimes chooses to not wear an American flag pin and does not put his hand over his heart during the singing of the National Anthem, he does not love his country. This is a waste of brain cells.

I do not wear an American flag pin. Everyone that I know does not wear an American flag pin. I'm willing to bet that you do not wear an American flag pin, either. And when I go to a Met game, half the fans in attendance do not have their hands over their hearts during the singing of the National Anthem. Are all of us unpatriotic?

My point is this: the "issues" that will get the most attention in the upcoming election are the ones that matter the least. Boxers or briefs? PC or Mac? Wine or beer? Paper or plastic? Flag pins or no flag pins? "Next week: Grandma - Friend or Foe?"

And one additional note: any experienced concert goer will tell you that you do not wear the t-shirt of the band that you are doing to see. Therefore, if you are in the United States, why do you feel the need to wear the flag? You're already there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog because I subscribe to Copiague Google Alerts. So as I read what you wrote I have to disagree. I wear a flag pin sometimes but if I were a politician I would probably feel the need to wear one more often just the same way other people in other jobs were certain things of distinction. I also ALWAYS put my hand over my heart during the Pledge and National Anthem. Even though I do not have a good voice I feel the need to sing the national anthem because I feel that strongly about my country. In fact anytime I hear the National Anthem my eyes well up with tears because I have such pride in my country. I also have an American Flag in front of my house EVERY DAY in Copiague! It is not that we have to it is that we want to! That is what makes America the best country. And it is not a matter of if you wear a flag pin but if you refuse to that matters.

Thanks for your point of view!